This article will show you how to install mac os ( include both mac os high sierra & mojave ) in virtualbox virtual machine. And the host os is window 10. Below is the steps, you can follow it.
- First you should install virtualbox, this is very straight forward in windows, you can just download virtualbox and install it.
- Whether you want to install mac os high sierra or mojave, you should prepare high sierra or mojave iso file first, please read article How To Download MacOS X High Sierra Installer In Mojave, How To Download MacOS Mojave Installer And Convert To ISO File. This need you have a mac book pro, if you do not have, you can download mac os high sierra iso file, i only upload high sierra iso file because of my google drive do not has so much spaces. And after you install mac os high sierra in virtualbox, you cann upgrade your mac os to mojave.
2. Install Mac OS On VirtualBox Virtual Machine Steps.
2.1 Create MacOS Virtual Machine In Virtualbox.
- Open virtualbox, click New button to create a new virtual machine. Input macOS high sierra or macOS mojave in the Name field, select Mac OS X in Type drop down list, select Mac OS X(64-bit) in Version drop down list, then click Next button.
- Set the virtual machine’s memory size in the next wizard window, you had better set half memory size of your physical memory size. This can make the virtual machine run faster.
- Select Create a virtual hard disk now radio buton in next wizard window. Then click Create button.
- Click Next button in following two wizard dialog window until the File location and size wizard dialog. Input the hard disk size that you need.
- Click Create button in above window to create the hard disk. Then it will go to virtual machine list window like below, you can see the newly created virtual machine in left panel list.
2.2 Configure MacOS Virtual Machine To Install MacOS Mojave Or High Sierra.
Now the mac os virtual machine has been created, next we need to do some settings for it. The configuration include system motherboard & processor, display video memory, choose mac os iso file in storage and network mapping method.
- Select the newly created mac os virtual machine in left list panel, then click Settings icon in top bar to open the virtual machine settings window.
- Click System in left panel, then in right panel Motherboard tab —> Boot Order list, uncheck Floppy checkbox.
- In System —> Processor tab, select the processor number that you assign to the mac os virtual machine.
- Select Display in left panel list, assign all physical video memory to this mac os virtual machine in right panel Screen tab.
- Click Storage in left panel list, then click Empty laser disk in right panel Storage Devices area, then click the Optical Drive icon, and click Choose Virtual Optical Disk File… menu item to open select file dialog, choose the mojave or high sierra iso file just created or downloaded. Click Open button in the file select dialog.
- Click Network in left, then select Bridged Adapter in the Attached to drop down list. Click OK button to close the virtual machine Settings dialog.
2.3 Run VBoxManage Command Before Start Mac OS Virtual Machine.
Before start mac os virtual machine, you need to run VBoxManage command tool to configure some settings. This action is very important to install mac os in virtual machine. So please be patient to follow below steps to do it.
- Right click windows 10 start button, click Run menu item, then input cmd, click enter key to open dos window.
- Input below command one by one in dos window to configure VBoxManage settings for mac os mojave. Please use your mac os virtual machine name to replace Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name.
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
- If you want to install mac os high sierra, then run below command in dos window one by one, use your mac os virtual machine name to replace Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name.
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "Your-Mac-OS-VM-Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
- Please remember your virtualbox virtual machine’s name carefully, otherwise you will get below error message. In below code i misspell “macOS mojave” to “macOS mojava”.
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "macOS mojava" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not find a registered machine named 'macOS mojava' VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBoxWrap, interface IVirtualBox, callee IUnknown VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 522 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp
2.4 Start Mac OS Virtual Machine.
Now it is time to start the mac os virtual machine to complete mac os installation.
- Select the mac os virtual machine in left panel list, then click green Start button to start it.
- When the virtual machine started, select os language, then click Continue button.
- Now the macOS Utilities window will popup, you can install mac os from a time machine backup, reinstall macos, or you can use Disk Utility to create the first partition for the mac os virtual machine. I recommend you to use Disk Utility to create a partition on the virtual disk, otherwise you may encounter no disk to select issue during the installation process. You can read article How To Fix No Disk To Select Issue When Install Mac OS On Virtual Machine to learn more.
- After create virtual disk partition, you will go back to macOS Utilities window, click Reinstall macOS item to start install it. The setup wizard window is straight forward. After you select the virtual disk and click Continue, you will see below window to notify you the installation process ( remaining time etc ).
- If you meet below error message during mac os installation progress. Installation of macos could not continue, installation requires downloading important content. That content cannot be downloaded at this time. Try again later. Just wait for some time to reinstall again, this is because of the network issue.
- When above installation process complete, all the files needed has been copied to the virtual disk, the mac os vritual machine will be restarted automatically, but it still boot from the installer iso file again, and you just see the macOS Utilities window again. So you need more actions to make this virtual machine boot from the virtual hard disk.
2.5 Make Mac OS Virtual Machine Boot From Virtual Hard Disk And Continue Install.
- Shut down the mac os virtual machine by click the virtual machine’s close button, and select Power off the machine radio button, then click OK.
- Right click the mac os virtual machine, then click Settings menu item in the popup menu list.
- Click Storage —> MoJave.iso (or high-sierra.iso ) —> Optical Drive, select Remove Disk from Virtual Drive menu item in the list to remove the mojave (or high sierra ) iso file, so the virtual machine will not boot from the iso file again when restart. Click OK button to save the changes.
- Now start the mac os virtual machine again, you will enter a command line shell which is called UEFI Interactive Shell like below.
FS1:in above shell command line, then click enter key, it will switch to FS1 virtual disk, this disk will save all the mac os install files. You can run ls command to list all the files in FS1 virtual disk.
- Now run below shell command to go to the boot folder in the virtual hard disk. The boot.efi file is the boot file which will start the rest of mac os installation process.
FS1:\> cd "macOS Install Data" FS1:\macOS Install Data\> cd "Locked Files" FS1:\macOS Install Data\Locked Files\> cd "Boot Files" FS1:\macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\> boot.efi
- When you run the boot.efi file, it will show some command line in the screen, after some while, you will see below mac os install picture.
- When above installation process complete, your virtual machine will restart, if you are installing mac os high sierra, you will enter the mac os setup interface like below. Just follow the instruction in the setup wizard, it is straight forward to finish configure it.
- But if you are installing the mac os mojave, you may enter the UEFI Interactive Shell command interface again. To fix this issue, you should first install mac os high sierra, then upgrade your os to mac os mojave.