When i use pip command to install a python module (
pip install requests ) or upgrade pip (
python -m pip install --upgrade pip ) in windows, i meet below error message.
Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Python37-32\\Lib\\site-packages\\pip\\__init__.py' Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.
After investigate some time, i finally find the solution to fix above error and successfully install the python module. The reason for this error is because you do not run the pip install command with admin role, there are two methods to run the python install command with admin permission as following.
1. Run Windows Powershell As Admin.
- Right click the start button at windows 10 bottom left corner.
- Then click Windows PowerShell(Admin) menu item in the popup menu list.
- Click Yes in the popup dialog to allow it to run. And then you can run pip install command in this powershell window to install python module or upgrade pip, and the installation will be successfull.
2. Run Pip Install Command With –user Argument.
You can also fix this error by add –user argument to the pip command that you need to execute like below. This is very straight forward.
python -m pip install --upgrade pip --user Collecting pip Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/5c/e0/be401c003291b56efc55aeba6a80ab790d3d4cece2778288d65323009420/pip-19.1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl Installing collected packages: pip Found existing installation: pip 18.1 Uninstalling pip-18.1: Successfully uninstalled pip-18.1 Successfully installed pip-19.1.1