When I install mac os high sierra, Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur on my VirtualBox virtual machine. I meet an error that is can not select the target disk to install the mac os. After investigating I finally find a method to fix this issue. This article will tell you how to fix it step by step. The issue may happen when you reinstall macOS on MacBook also, you can also follow the below steps to fix it.
1. How To Reproduce Can Not Select Disk To Install macOS Error Window.
- Start the virtual machine, then select the second item Reinstall macOS in the macOS Utilities window, click the Continue button.
- Then it will popup install mac os high sierra or Mojave welcome window.
- Click the Continue button in the above window, then click Agree button in the next window. And then it will go to another window to let you select the disk where you want to install os x. But you can not select the disk because there is no disk to select.
2. How To Fix No Disk To Select Error When Install Mac OS On Virtual Machine.
The reason for this issue is because there does not has a partition on the virtual disk, so we should first create a partition on the virtual disk, then you can select the virtual disk partition to install mac os.
- Click Install macOS High Sierra —> Quit Install macOS menu item at the virtual machine window top-left corner to quit the Install macOS High Sierra wizard.
- Then select Disk Utility in the macOS Utilities window, click the Continue button.
- Select the virtual disk in Disk Utility left panel, then click Erase button at the top bar, it will pop up a window. Input the partition name, select partition format Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ) in the format drop-down list, click Erase button at bottom of the pop-up window to start creating the partition.
- When the creating partition process is complete, click the Done button to finish it. Then close the Disk Utility window to go back to the macOS Utilities window. Now you can select Reinstall macOS or Install macOS Big Sur to install it again, and you can select the virtual disk partition during the installation process now.
3. Tips When No Disk To Select Issue Happen On Physical MacBook.
- If you find this issue when you reinstall macOS on a Physical MacBook, the above method also makes sense.
- But one thing you should take care of is the physical HDD cable, you should make sure the HDD cable is plugged in tightly.
4. How To Fix Get Stuck With Gray Screen Issue At The Beginning Of macOS Mojave Installation Process.
- When you start the VirtualBox virtual machine to install macOS Mojave, you may see a gray screen at the beginning, and it is stuck there and can not continue.
- To fix this issue, you should use another 64bit guest version in the VirtualBox virtual machine, and enable Use Host I/O Cache in the Storage tab follow the below steps.
- Right-click the virtual machine, click the Settings menu item in the popup menu list.
- Click the General tab in the popup dialog, click the Basic tab under the General tab.
- Select another 64bit macOS version in the Version drop-down list.
- Click the Storage tab after the General tab, check the Use Host I/O Cache checkbox on the right side ( Storage Devices —> Attributes ) to enable it.
5. Question & Answer.
5.1 No disk to select issue when install macOS mountain lion on VirtualBox.
- I install VirtualBox 5.8 on Windows 10. And I want to install the macOS Mountain Lion on the VirtualBox virtual machine. When the installation process comes to the screen that said select the disk where you want to install the OS X, I can not get the disk to install, how to fix this issue.
- The reason for this issue is because you do not have any partition on your virtual disk, you can follow the steps below to fix it.
1. Quit the OS X Mountain Lion installation by clicking the menu item Quit Install OS X.
2. Click the Disk Utility item to open the disk manager.
3. Click the Show all disks menu to list all hidden disks.
4. Select the disk that you want to create the partition.
5. Format the disk with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format on the right side erase tab.
6. Give the partition a name and click the erase button to format it.
7. Now when you install the macOS Mountain Lion again, you can select the disk partition that you just create.
8. If you do not want to remove the existing files on the disk, you have to backup them first and then restore them to the new partition after installing macOS OS X.