When I install mac os high sierra or mojave on my VirtualBox virtual machine. I meet an error that is can not select target disk to install the mac os. After investigate I finally find the method to fix this issue. This article will tell you how to fix it step by step. The issue may happen when you reinstall macOS on MacBook also, you can also follow below steps to fix it.
1. How To Reproduce Can Not Select Disk To Install MacOS Error Window.
- Start the virtual machine, then select the second item Reinstall macOS in macOS Utilities window, click Continue button.
- Then it will popup install mac os high sierra or mojave welcome window.
- Click Continue button in above window, then click Agree button in the next window. And then it will go to another window to let you select the disk where you want to install os x. But you can not select the disk because there is no disk to select.
2. How To Fix No Disk To Select Error When Install Mac OS On Virtual Machine.
The reason for this issue is because there does not has a partition on the virtual disk, so we should first create a partition on the virtual disk, then you can select the virtual disk partition to install mac os.
- Click Install macOS High Sierra —> Quit Install macOS menu item at the virtual machine window top-left corner to quit mac os installation wizard.
- Then select Disk Utility in macOS Utilities window, click Continue button.
- Select the virtual disk in Disk Utility left panel, then click Erase button at top bar, it will popup a window. Input the partition name, select partition format Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ) in the format drop-down list, click Erase button at bottom of the pop-up window to start creating the partition.
- When the creating partition process complete, click Done button to finish it. Then close the Disk Utility window to go back to macOS Utilities window. Now you can select Reinstall macOS to install it again, and you can select the virtual disk partition during the installation process now.
3. Tips When No Disk To Select Issue Happen On Physical MacBook.
If you find this issue when you reinstall macOS on a Physical MacBook, above method also make sense. But one thing you should take care of is the physical HDD cable, you should make sure the HDD cable is plugged in tightly.