SmartGit is a GUI git client tool that can manage your project source code from a git server such as GitHub or bitbucket. It supports both Windows, macOS, and Linux. You can use it free for non-commercial usage. This article will tell you how to use it in Linux Ubuntu.
1. Install SartGit For Linux Ubuntu.
- Download SmartGit Linux achieves from SmartGit official website.
- Unzip the download file to a local folder.
- CD into the smartgit /bin folder( for example /home/jerry/WorkSpace/tool/smartgit-linux-18_1_5/smartgit/bin ) of the unzip file.
- Then execute bin/smartgit.sh file. It will open the Setup SmartGit window.
- In the License Type dialog window, check the agreement checkbox, and select the Non-commercial use only(all features, but no support) radio button.
- Click the Next button, confirm the non-commercial license usage, and click the OK button.
- Enter user information, select Use SmartGit as SSH Client radio button in the following dialog.
- Do not specify Hosting Providers now, click the Next button.
- Click the Finish button to complete the SmartGit installation.
2. Use SmartGit To Clone Repository.
- Open a terminal and execute the shell command smartgit.sh in the smartgit/bin folder.
- When SmartGit GUI startup, click Repository —> Clone… menu item to open repository clone dialog.
- Click the Next button, input master password, and input repository user name and password then click the Login button.
- Click the Next button, and select the repository Local Directory to store source files.
- Click the Finish button to complete the cloned repository.
- Then you should wait for some time for the process to complete, it will copy all the source files to your local directory.