We all know that python3 is the future of python program. But there are still a lot of python 2 program and libraries in the world also. So if you want to run python 2 source code use jupyter, it may be difficult to setup the environment. But use anaconda you can run python 2 code or library in jupyter easily. Now let me tell you how to do it.
1. Use Anaconda To Install Isolated Python 2 Environment.
If you have read article How To Manage Anaconda Environments, you should know it is easy to create a python 2.7 environment with anaconda like below.
- Install anaconda on your operating system, please refer article How To Install Anaconda On Linux, Windows, MacOS Correctly.
- Use anaconda to create an isolated python 2.7 environment. Please refer article How To Manage Anaconda Environments.
- You can also follow below summary steps to create the python 2.7 environment.
# run conda create command to create a python 2.7 environment. The environment name is env_py2 $ conda create -n env_py2 anaconda python=2.7 # run condat evn list command to display current installed isolated python environment. ~$ conda env list # conda environments: # base * /home/zhaosong/anaconda3 env_py2 /home/zhaosong/anaconda3/envs/env_py2 # activate env_py2 to enter the python 2.7 environment $ conda activate env_py2
2. Start Jupyter Notebook Web Server In Above Python 2.7 Environment.
- Start jupyter notebook web server. Please refer article How To Use IPython Jupyter Notebook To Develop Python Code.
# run jupyter notebook command to start jupyter webserver. $ jupyter notebook ...... To access the notebook, open this file in a browser: file:///run/user/1000/jupyter/nbserver-29269-open.html Or copy and paste one of these URLs: http://localhost:8888/?token=0161b780e148ee194bf0b5b73cf4b1c10ad7e5d4b9c7d332
- Open a web browser and browse url http://localhost:8888/?token=0161b780e148ee194bf0b5b73cf4b1c10ad7e5d4b9c7d332.
- Now when you login to jupyter webserver, you can see the Python 2 menu item in the New drop down list. Click this menu item will create a notebook that can submit Python 2 source code to jupyter web server and start a ipython kernel process to run the python 2 source code.