Anaconda is a scientific Python distribution which contains a lot of not often used scientific python libraries. If you want to do data analyze, scientific computing, you can install anaconda and use it to implement what you want. But after i install anaconda on Liunx, i found that i can not use it correctly, when i input command such as
jupyter notebook, it shows error message like Error executing Jupyter command ‘notebook’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory. But you can follow this article to fix the errors.
1. Install Anaconda On Linux, Windows, MacOS.
The anaconda installation is very simple and straight forward. The installation process on all the three platform is very similar. But before that you should download anaconda for your OS platform first.
After that follow below steps to install it on different OS platform.
- Anacond linux install file is just a .sh file, it is executable.
- Open a terminal and run Anaconda3-2018.12-Linux-x86_64.sh file to install.
- The installation process is very straight forward. It will download and install a lot of dependency libraries.
- After installation, the anaconda bin directory path is also added in the system PATH env variable by change your .bashrc ( /home/zhaosong/.bashrc ) file automatically as below.
# added by Anaconda3 2018.12 installer # >>> conda init >>> # !! Contents within this block are managed by 'conda init' !! __conda_setup="$(CONDA_REPORT_ERRORS=false '/home/zhaosong/anaconda3/bin/conda' shell.bash hook 2> /dev/null)" if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then \eval "$__conda_setup" else if [ -f "/home/zhaosong/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh" ]; then . "/home/zhaosong/anaconda3/etc/profile.d/conda.sh" CONDA_CHANGEPS1=false conda activate base else \export PATH="/home/zhaosong/anaconda3/bin:$PATH" fi fi unset __conda_setup # <<< conda init <<<
- Do not forget run
$ source .bashrcto make the changes take effect. Otherwise you may encounter errors when you run
- If you meet error, you also first need to check the PATH environment variable’s value, you should make sure the anaconda bin directory path locate at beginning of the PATH value.
~$ echo $PATH /home/zhaosong/anaconda3/bin:/use/bin:......
- If everything is correct, run python in a terminal, you can see Anaconda in the output text.
~$ python Python 3.7.1 (default, Dec 14 2018, 19:28:38) [GCC 7.3.0] :: Anaconda, Inc. on linux Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
- Now run
jupyter notebookcommand in terminal, it will startup a web server and you can access it with url http://localhost:8888/tree.
$ jupyter notebook [I 22:21:57.057 NotebookApp] Writing notebook server cookie secret to /run/user/1000/jupyter/notebook_cookie_secret [I 22:21:57.234 NotebookApp] JupyterLab extension loaded from /home/zhaosong/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jupyterlab [I 22:21:57.234 NotebookApp] JupyterLab application directory is /home/zhaosong/anaconda3/share/jupyter/lab [I 22:21:57.235 NotebookApp] Serving notebooks from local directory: /home/zhaosong [I 22:21:57.235 NotebookApp] The Jupyter Notebook is running at: [I 22:21:57.236 NotebookApp] http://localhost:8888/?token=a1ccb7865e275163dbd751856698a601f6f69feb2627b266 [I 22:21:57.236 NotebookApp] Use Control-C to stop this server and shut down all kernels (twice to skip confirmation). [C 22:21:57.254 NotebookApp] To access the notebook, open this file in a browser: file:///run/user/1000/jupyter/nbserver-13959-open.html Or copy and paste one of these URLs: http://localhost:8888/?token=a1ccb7865e275163dbd751856698a601f6f69feb2627b266
- Double click the installation file and follow the wizard steps to install.
- When the installation complete, the installer will add anaconda bin directory in the PATH system environment variable.
- Open a dos window and run python command, if you see something like below, it means anaconda has been installed successfully in your Windows.
C:> python Python 3.7.1 (default, Dec 14 2018, 19:28:38) [GCC 7.3.0] :: Anaconda, Inc. on windows Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
- If you have installed other python version before, and the output do not contain Anaconda, you need to check PATH system environment variable, to check whether anaconda installation path is included at the beginning of the PATH variable value or not.
- Install anaconda on MacOS is very similar with Windows.
- The different is that the downloaded file is a .pkg file.
- Double click the .pkg file to install it.
- After installation, the bin folder ( anaconda executable file saved folder ) in the anaconda installation directory will be added to /Users/$USER/.bash_profile automatically.
- To make sure the PATH value change take effect, run
source .bash_profilecommand in a terminal.
- To verify the anaconda installation is success, open a terminal and run
ipythoncommand, then you should see anaconda in the output text.
- If it shows error message, you should run
envcommand in terminal to check the PATH env variable value, to see whether it’s value contains the anaconda bin folder or not.