This article will tell you how to install Python 3.7 and PIP ( A python package manager tool ) in Windows OS. Before install both of them, you should go to python download page to get the python version 3.7.
1. Install Python 3.7.
- Double click the downloaded Python 3.7 installer, then you will see below installation wizard window. There are two options that you can choose. Install Now will install python with all default configurations. Customize installation will let you configure most installation settings such as install components and target directory etc. No matter which option you choose, you had better check both the two checkbox at the bottom of the wizard dialog, especially Add Python 3.7 to PATH checkbox. This checkbox can add the python executable folder to the windows PATH environment variable values automatically ( After python installation you can find C:\Python37\Scripts\;C:\Python37\ in the windows system PATH environment variable values). Then you can run python command in terminal directly after the python installation.
- In this example we choose the second option – Customize installation. Then it will popup Optional Features wizard dialog which will let you to choose the installed components, i select all checkbox that contains pip.
- Click Next button to go to Advanced Options wizard dialog. Please select the first five checkbox at least. The Add Python to environment variables checkbox must be checked. You can also choose the python installation target directory in this dialog ( You had better choose a directory which the directory path do not contain white space and not too long).
- Then click Install button, it will process the installation until you see the installation successful dialog.
2. Verify Python And PIP Installation.
2.1 Verify Python.
Now the python 3.7 has been installed into your windows OS, we need to verify whether it is installed correctly or not.
- Open a dos console window, run
pythoncommand, if you see below output that means python is installed correctly. The exit() method will quit python interactive mode.
C:\Users>python Python 3.7.0 (v3.7.0:1bf9cc5093, Jun 27 2018, 04:59:51) [MSC v.1914 64 bit (AMD6 4)] on win32 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> exit()
- If it show error message such as command python can not be found, this is because python installation directory ( in this example C:\Python37 ) is not included in the system PATH variable, you should add it in the PATH environment variable manually. You can refer How To Set Java Environment Viriable JAVA_HOME, CLASSPATH, PATH. Or you can reinstall python 3.7 and check the Add Python 3.7 to PATH checkbox to resolve the error entirely.
2.2 Verify PIP.
PIP is a python script that can manage python packages. It can process search, install, update and uninstall operation to python packages. To find all useful python packages, you can go to https://pypi.org/. In this example pip is saved in C:\Python37\Scripts directory.
- Open a dos window and run
pip --versioncommand then you can see below output in console that means pip has been installed correctly.
C:\Users>pip --version pip 10.0.1 from c:\python37\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.7)