If you find your website page load slowly, you can first use the below tools to test how slowly it is. Either of them gives you a detailed page load time sequence in the diagram.
1. Do You Need to Install A Cache Plugin?
To speed up your website, you can use the below methods.
- Add a cache plugin such as wp super cache.
- Use a CDN such as Cloudflare to make your website secure and fast. Please read the article Cloudflare Plus SSL To Make Your WordPress Fast And Secure for a detailed introduction.
- Do not use the cache plugin and CDN at the same time, there may be some conflicts.
- In my opinion, I like just use Cloudflare if your website is hosted in a VPS server just like me. Because wp super cache often makes some confusing issue.
- But if you use a shared host website, you had better use wp super cache because the shared host resource is shared by a lot of websites, this can take down your website performance largely.
- If you use the Bluehost service, they have already installed a cache plugin by default that they developed, but you can not see it in your WordPress plugins dashboard.
- The cache plugin is called endurance-page-cache. It translates PHP files to static Html files. Then send those Html files back when the client user requests them. This can reduce PHP execution time because it does not execute PHP when a client user requests it. So you do not need to install any other cache plugin at all.
2. How To Enable / Disable Bluehost Endurance Page Cache.
- The endurance-page-cache PHP script is saved in your WordPress website wp-content/mu-plugins folder as below. There are three PHP files that run this plugin, they are php-edge.php, endurance-browser-cache.php, endurance-page-cache.php.
- If you want to disable them, just rename the above file names by adding a prefix. If you want to enable them just change the file name back to the original.
- Besides wp-content/mu-plugins folder, you may find another folder wp-content/endurance-page-cache. This is just the static Html file saved folder which this cache plugin generated.
- If you still find HTTP header x-endurance-cache-level:2 when you browse your web page in google chrome. You should edit your website /public_html/domain_name/.htaccess file and remove or comment this line Header set X-Endurance-Cache-Level “2”
3.Question & Answer.
3.1 Also find the endurance cache feature in Hostgator.
- My host provider is not Bluehost, it is Hostgator. And I also found the Endurance Cache option in the WordPress dashboard Settings —> General page bottom area. And it is enabled by default, it will cache all the files I have changed, this leads to the changes I have made to my website can not be seen immediately in a web browser. I also can not find this option like a WordPress plugin in the plugins list. Can I disable the Endurance Cache option? Is this WordPress new version options or something else?
- You are right, the Endurance Cache option is a Hostgator installed WordPress plugin. There are two plugins installed by Hostgator, one is Endurance Page Cache the other is Endurance Browser Cache. If you want to disable the Endurance Page Cache option, you can click the Plugins —> Must-Use menu item, then find the Endurance Page Cache plugin, then disable it by clicking the disable button.