Django is the popular python web framework. It can be used in any operating system includes Windows, Linux, etc. But when I install Django on Windows, I meet some problems which confuse me sometimes. I write this article to tell me and others how to resolve those issues when you install Django on Windows.
1. Install Django On Windows.
- Before you can install Django, you need to make sure that you have installed Python3 and PIP3 on your Windows first. Please read the article How To Install Python/Pip On Windows if you do not. After confirmation, you can follow the below steps to install Django.
- Open a terminal and run the command
pip3 install django.
- But you may get the below error message which said the access is denied, you do not have permission. Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: ‘c:\\program files (x86)\\python37-32\\lib\\site-packages\\pip-10.0.1.dist-info\\entry_points.txt’ Consider using the `–user` option or check the permissions.
- Do not worry, as the error message said, you just need to add –user option at the end of the command.
- So run the below command again, then you can install python Django successfully.
pip3 install django --user
2. Run Django Admin To Create First Django Project.
- Now you have installed Django on Windows successfully. In the next step, we will run the django-admin command to create our first Django project.
- But when you input the command django-admin in the dos window, it will tell you that ‘django-admin’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
- This is because you have not added the django-admin command in the Windows PATH system environment variable value.
2.1 Add django-admin.exe In Windows PATH System Variable Value.
- First, run
pip3 show djangocommand in terminal to get Django information such as installed directory like below.
C:\Users\zhaosong>pip3 show django Name: Django Version: 2.1.5 Summary: A high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design. Home-page: https://www.djangoproject.com/ Author: Django Software Foundation Author-email: [email protected] License: BSD
Requires: pytz Required-by:
- The django-admin.exe command is not saved in the above location directory. It is saved in the same level directory of the above location that is C:\Users\zhaosong\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\Scripts, add this directory in Windows PATH system environment variable value. Please refer article How To Set Java Environment Variable JAVA_HOME, CLASSPATH, PATH.
- Now open another dos window to make sure the above PATH settings take effect and run the below command in the dos window to create your first Django project.
django-admin startproject DjangoHelloWorld