This article will tell you how to install VMware Fusion on macOS, how to resolve problems like“Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory” during the installation process, and how to create a windows 7 virtual machine on macOS correctly.
1. Download And Install VMware Fusion For Mac.
- Click here to download the VMware Fusion MacOS version.
- Double click the dmg file to install it correctly.
2. Create Windows 7 Virtual Machine.
- Click Finder in the desktop dock.
- Click Go —> Applications in Finder app top menu bar. Double click the VMware Fusion app in the right panel to start it.
- Click File —> New in VMware Fusion top menu bar to open the Select the Installation Method dialog. Select the Create a custom virtual machine item in the right panel.
- Click the Continue button and select Windows 7 x64 in the virtual machine list. Click the Continue button again. And select Create a new virtual disk option then click Finish.
- If you meet error messages such as “Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.”, You can follow the below steps to fix it.
Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module ‘vmmon‘ is loaded. OK
3. Fix Could Not Open /dev/vmmon Error During Virtual Machine Creation.
- Click Apple start menu —> System Preferences… menu item.
- Click Security & Privacy in the System Preferences popup dialog.
- Click the Allow button after the text System software from developer “VMware, Inc.” was blocked from loading to enable VMware to create the virtual machine.
- Also, make sure to select the radio button App Store and identified developers in the section Allow apps downloaded from. If you can not change it, click the bottom left lock icon to make the radio button clickable.
- Now click VMware Fusion app to go back to VMware Fusion screen, click File —> Open in the top menu bar, and select the created Windows 7 x 64 virtual machine file.
- Click Virtual Machines —> CD / DVD (SATA) —> Choose Disc or Disc Image… menu item. Select the Windows 7 iso file and click the triangle button to start the image in the virtual machine window to start windows 7 installation. The installation process is the same as install windows 7 on a physical machine.