When you use oracle VirtualBox, sometimes you need to install the VirtualBox extension. Because the VirtualBox extension provides you add-on functions such as virtual USB 2.0 & 3.0 support, VirtualBox remote desktop protocol support, Intel PXE boot ROM, Disk image encryption with AES algorithm, Host webcam passthrough, etc. But when you install it, you may find the installation can not be completed successfully, this article will tell you how to install it correctly.
1. Get Your Virtualbox Version.
The main reason for failing to install the VirtualBox extension is because you choose the wrong version of the extension package, so before you install the VirtualBox extension pack, you should get your VirtualBox version at first by following the below steps.
- Start VirtualBox, do not need to start the virtual machine.
- Click Help —> About VirtualBox… menu item at the top menu bar, then it will popup the VirtualBox – About dialog. You can find the VirtualBox version at the bottom right of the dialog. In this example, my VirtualBox version is 5.2.28.
2. Download Above Version Related Virtualbox Extension Pack.
Now you should download the VirtualBox extension package according to your VirtualBox version.
- Go to the VirtualBox download page, if your VirtualBox is the newest version, then just click the link in the VirtualBox newest-version-number Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack area to download it.
- But because my VirtualBox version is 5.2, then I should click the link VirtualBox 5.2 builds on the above page, then it will direct me to the page that lists all software needed for VirtualBox build 5.2. If your VirtualBox is older than 5.2, I suggest you use the newest version, because at this time oracle will not support VirtualBox which version is lower than 5.2.
- My VirtualBox version is 5.2.28, then I go to the VirtualBox 5.2 builds page and scroll down to the list item VirtualBox 5.2.28, and click the Extension Pack link under it to download the VirtualBox extension pack and save it to my local machine. If your VirtualBox version is 6.0 then you can go to the VirtualBox 6.0 builds page and find the related VirtualBox version Extension Pack link to download it.
3. Install Virtualbox Extension.
After you download the VirtualBox extension, follow the below steps to install it in your VirtualBox.
- Open VirtualBox, click File —> Preferences… menu item at the top menu bar.
- Click the Extensions item in the popup VirtualBox – Preferences window left panel.
- Click the green plus button in the right panel and browse to select the downloaded VirtualBox extension pack software. Then click the Install button in the popup dialog to install it.
- Scroll down the license dialog and click the I Agree button to start to install.
- When the installation is complete, you will see a popup dialog that said the installation is successful.
- Click the OK button, you will see the VirtualBox extension package has been added to the Extension Packages list in the VirtualBox – Preferences dialog window.