Adblocker is bad for the publisher because they reduce the revenue that the publisher can earn. Adblocker is also not good for website visitors because some good user experience ads can give visitors a chance to buy inexpensive products, taking a lesson to learn new skills that the visitor just needs. So good ads are win-win items, both visitors and publishers can get the parts they need from those ads.
As a website publisher, I found 10% percent of my website visitors using adblockers, this makes me crazy. So I need to do something to let the 10% of visitors know my website needs ad income to support it, all my ads are less and clean from google Adsense or google certified publish partners ( ezoic.com ). So I write this article to tell you how to analyze the visitors that use adblocker to browse your website, and how to let them unblock your website to recover your ad revenues.
1. How To Analyze The Visitors That Use Adblocker When They Browse Your WebSite.
1.1 Use Admiral Adblock Analytics.
- My website is based on WordPress, so I found some WordPress plugins that provide the analyze adblocker function.
- The Admiral Adblock Analytics is just one, it provides free adblocker analyzes.
- Using it is very easy, you can follow the below steps.
- Open your WordPress website, click the Plugins —> Add New link on the web page left panel.
- Then input the keyword admiral in the Search plugins… search box and search.
- Then you can see the Admiral Adblock Analytics in the list, install it, and activate it.
- Now go to Admiral Adblock Analytics to create a new account.
- You should provide your domain during the account registration process.
- After your account registration, log in to the website use the account.
- Select your domain on the dashboard page top left corner.
- Then click the Settings link on the dashboard web page top right corner.
- You will find the domain’s Property ID ( a UUID text ) and copy it.
- Go back to your domain WordPress website dashboard, click the Settings —> Admiral menu item on the dashboard page left side.
- Input the domain Property ID you got from the Admiral Adblock Analytics in the Property ID input text box.
- Click the Save Changes button to save it.
- After some time ( one day or later ), you can go to the Admiral Adblock Analytics website dashboard to see the traffic percentage that uses adblocker to browse your website.
1.2 Use Ad Inserter.
- Ad Inserter is another WordPress plugin that can analyze adblocker traffic.
- But this feature is not free, but the price is not high if you need it you can buy it.
2. How To Block Adblocker To Recover Ads On Your Website.
2.1 Use Ad Inserter Ad Blocking Detection Feature.
- Although the WordPress Ad Inserter plugin’s adblocker analyze feature is not free, it provides a free Ad Blocking Detection feature.
- You can follow the below steps to use it.
- First, install the Ad Inserter plugin on your WordPress website.
- Then login to the WordPress website administration dashboard.
- Click the Settings —> Ad Inserter menu item on the page left side.
- Then click the Ad Inserter General Settings ( a gear icon ) tab on the page right side.
- Then click the Ad Blocking tab on the Ad Inserter Settings page.
- You can customize the Action, Messages on the Settings page.
- You can click the Preview button to see the effect in the popup window.
- But you should enable it before using it, otherwise, you will find it does not work.
- Click the Square icon ( there is a circle in its center ) to enable the Ad Blocking Detection feature, when it is enabled, you can see the circle’s color is changed to green.
- Do not forget to click the Save Settings button to save your changes to make it take effect.
- Now you can install a web browser adblocker plugin and test the Ad Blocking Detection function.
3. Questions & Answers.
3.1 View Old Site And View Optimized Site Inconsistent.
- My website is a WordPress website, it installed the Ad Inserter plugin.
- It uses Ezoic CDN in front of my original website server for CDN and Ads service.
- It also uses Cloudflare in front of the Ezoic CDN to build another cache layer to improve web performance.
- My website has enabled the WordPress Ad Inserter plugin’s Ad Blocking Detection function on the original web server.
- And now I have deactivated the cache plugin ( WPOptimised ) I used on the server-side.
- Then I go to the Ezoic dashboard Settings —> VIEW OLD SITE section.
- When I click the VIEW OPTIMIZED SITE button, it shows the page without the debug data displayed on the page top. This means the Ad Blocking Detection function does not take effect.
- I also enable this feature on another domain, and that domain does not have this issue, the two pages content is consistent.
- How can I fix this issue? Thanks a lot.
- Below is the response from the Ezoic support team.
- Please note that this option to remove the inline code had to be done manually from our team and there is no such option in your dashboard.
- You can disable all caching and optimizing options and then try again.
- The plugin generates valid code – it should work as configured.
It is very likely the caching/optimizing software you are using invalidates the code.
You should make sure the code will remain as generated – valid and functional.
3.2 The Ad Blocking Detection Message Box Popup Always.
- Recently I found one issue that confused me a lot of time when using the Ad Inserter‘s Ad Blocking Detection feature.
- The issue happens only when I use web browsers on Windows 10, there are no issues when I use web browsers on macOS or Ubuntu Linux.
- The issue is that the Ad Blocking Detection dialog popups after whitelisting the domain in the ad blocker, disable the ad blocker extension, even after removing the ad blocker.
- And the Ad Blocking Detection dialog popups even I do not install any ad blocker extension on web browsers.
184.108.40.206 Test Cases On Different Operating Systems & Browsers.
- I have 2 domains, one domain enabled the Ad Blocking Detection in Ad Inserter, the other domain disabled the feature.
- There are no errors on the domain that disabled the Ad Blocking Detection feature.
- The error only occurs on the domain that enabled the Ad Blocking Detection feature.
220.127.116.11 On macOS.
- Chrome: No Issue.
- Firefox: No Issue.
- Safari: No Issue.
- Opera: No Issue.
18.104.22.168 On Windows 10.
- Microsoft Edge ( my version 44.18362.387.0), Microsoft EdgeHTML ( my version 18.18363 ), Internet Explorer ( my version 11.418.18362.0, update version: 11.0.155): Popup the Ad Blocking Detection dialog message even not installed the ad blocker plugin.
- Microsoft Edge ( my version 97.0.1072.69 ), Google Chrome ( my version 97.0.4692.99 ), Firefox ( my version 96.0.2 ), Opera: Popup the Ad Blocking Detection dialog message even not installed the ad blocker plugin. After installing the ad blocker extension the Ad Blocking Detection dialog still popups after whitelisting the domain in the ad blocker, disable the ad blocker extension, even after removing the ad blocker.
- I finally find the reason. When I use a v2ray proxy client to connect to the internet on Windows 10, the issue happened.
- When I disable the v2ray proxy client and use the normal way to connect to the internet on Windows 10, the issue disappears.
- This issue happens only on Windows 10, not happens on macOS and Ubuntu.
- When you install multiple ad blocker extensions on a web browser, this issue may also happen, because you may forget to disable other ad blockers on the web browser.