I register a domain from bluehost.com. But I do not buy the hosting service from Bluehost, so I can not add a DNS record to Bluehost. So I registered a Cloudflare account and added the domain DNS to Cloudflare which is free. So that I can use Cloudflare to access my WordPress website using the domain. But when I browse the domain in web browsers, it shows the error message like ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS on the web page. This article will tell you how to fix it.
1. The Detailed Error Message Of ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.
- The detailed error message of the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS is different when you use different web browsers.
- In Google Chrome, the detailed error message is as below.
This page isn’t working excel-learner.com redirected you too many times. Try clearing your cookies. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
- In Firefox, the detailed error message is as below.
The page isn’t redirecting properly An error occurred during a connection to excel-learner.com. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
- In Opera, the detailed error message is as below.
This page isn’t working excel-learner.com redirected you too many times. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
- The above error message tells you to clear your cookies, but it still does not work after I clear all the cookies.
- I will tell you how I fix it in the next section.
2. How To Fix ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS When Browse A WordPress Website Through Cloudflare.
- This error happened just after I upload the WordPress website program onto my VPS server, I did not install it at all.
- So when I browse the domain it should show the WordPress install page, but it shows the error ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.
- The error is because I enable the Force HTTPS radio button in my BT VPS panel ( please refer to the article How To Install BT VPS Control Panel And Restore WordPress Website Into It).
- So I log in to my BT VPS panel.
- And click the WebSites menu item in the left panel.
- Then click the Config link at the end of the domain website.
- Click the SSL link item on the popup dialog left side.
- Disable the Force HTTPS radio button on the popup dialog right side.
- Then I can access the website by the domain successfully without the error message ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.
- If you do not want to disable the Force HTTPS toggle button ( if you disable this button you may encounter other errors, you can read the article How To Fix Nginx Redirect To Wrong Website Error When There Are Multiple WebSites), you can fix this error by modifying the SSL/TLS encryption mode to Full in Cloudflare configuration page.
- You can log in to the Cloudflare management console with your account, then select the website domain.
- Then click the SSL/TLS —> Overview menu item on the page left side.
- Then select the Full radio button on the page right side section Your SSL/TLS encryption mode.
- When you select the Full option, Cloudflare will use the HTTPS protocol to connect to the original web server.
- If you select other options such as Flexible, Cloudflare will use the HTTP protocol to connect to the original web server.
- Because the original web server turns on the Force HTTPS option, then when an HTTP request comes, it will change the HTTP request to an HTTPS request.
- And this HTTPS request will be passed to Cloudflare, and Cloudflare will use an HTTP request to connect to the original web server, and this makes the endless loop.
- But if you integrate your website with Ezoic, you can select the Flexible option, because the request will be processed in the order Cloudflare —> Ezoic —> Original Web Server.
- And Cloudflare can use the HTTP protocol to connect to the Ezoic server, and the Ezoic serer will use the HTTPS protocol to connect to the original web server.
- This method can also fix the 524 Time Out Error When Installing WordPress WebSite Behind Cloudflare.
- Because too many redirects will cause time out also.