Before debugging and testing the android application, you should create an android virtual device ( AVD ) to start a simulator. You can specify special configurations for your AVD, and then start it for debugging and executing applications.
1. AVD Benefits.
- With AVD, the android app can be tested and executed on numerous virtual devices such as TV, Wear, Phone, or Tablet. You do not need to buy physical devices, this can save a lot of money.
- You can config a lot of virtual device parameters such as phone brand, android OS image, screen size, RAM size, SD card size, front or back Camera as you need, this provides big flexibility for you to customize the virtual device.
2. How To Create AVD In Android Studio.
- Click ” Tools —> Android —> AVD Manager ” in top menu bar. Or click the AVD Manager icon directly in the android studio top toolbar.
- Then your Virtual Devices window will pop up. If there do not have any existing AVD in the list, click Create Virtual Device button to create one.
- When you click Create Virtual Devices… button, the Select Hardware window will popup. Choose device types such as TV, Wear, Phone, or Tablet. Also choose the virtual device’s brand, screen size, resolution, etc.
- If all the existing virtual devices do not fit your needs, click New Hardware Profile or Import Hardware Profiles button to add your customized virtual devices as you need. For normal use, choose an existing one is enough.
- Click the Next button, then the System Image window will be shown. This window list various versions of android OS. Click the Download link to download and install the OS image that you want to run.
- Click the Next button, it will go to AVD verify configuration window. Click the Show Advanced Settings button to see detailed settings data for this virtual device.
- Click the Finish button and wait for some time, the android virtual device will be created completely.
- To start it, click the green triangle button in the AVD list Actions column. To edit it’s settings, click the green pencil button.
- When the AVD is started, the device simulator will be shown on the screen. This means the AVD configuration is successful.