In this article, I will tell you how to automatically turn off WiFi on your iPhone at night to save your iPhone’s battery. This article will use an iOS application Shortcuts to implement the automation task.
1. How To Create A Shortcut and Add An Action To Turn Off WiFi.
- Swipe down your iPhone screen to show the search box.
- Input the keyword shortcuts in the search box, and it will show the app Shortcuts.
- If you don’t have it installed, you can download it from the App Store.
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Create Shortcut” button (the plus sign icon on the top right corner of the screen ) to create a new shortcut.
- Tap the “Add Action” button to open the Search for apps and actions screen.
- Search the keyword “WiFi” in the search box.
- Select the “Set WLAN” action from the list by tapping it.
- Then press the Add to Shortcut button to add the action in the shortcut as below.
- Tap the word On after the text Turn WLAN to change it to Off, this will make the action to turn off WiFi.
- Press the Done button on the screen’s top right corner to save the shortcut.
- Long press the shortcut item on the screen, and it will pop up a menu list.
- Press the Rename menu item in the popup menu list.
- Rename your shortcut (e.g., “Turn Off WiFi at Night“) and tap “Done“.
- Once you’ve created your shortcut, you can run it manually or set it up to run automatically using different triggers such as location or time of day.
2. Run The Shortcut Manually Steps.
- To run the shortcut manually, simply open the Shortcuts app and tap on your newly created shortcut.
- This will run the shortcut at once.
3. Run The Shortcut Automatically Steps.
- Here are the steps to create personal automation in iOS Shortcuts.
- Open the “Shortcuts” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the “Automation” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the “Create Personal Automation” button on the screen to create a new automation.
- Choose the type of trigger you want to use for the automation. For example, you could choose “Time of Day“, “Low Power Mode“, etc.
- If you chose “Time of Day” you can set the time ( for example: 4 hours after sunset ) and repeat ( Daily ) that the automation should run in the next screen When.
- Tap “Next” in the upper right-hand corner of the screen to go to the Actions screen.
- You can choose or search the actions you want the automation to perform in the Actions screen.
- For example, you can search the keyword WiFi in the Search for apps and actions text box, and then select the Set WLAN action.
- Now you can turn off the WLAN by press the text On behind the text Turn WLAN.
- Tap the Next link on the top-right of the screen to go to the New Automation screen.
- You can turn on the Ask Before Running toggle button to let iOS ask you before run the action.
- Press “Done” in the upper right-hand corner of the screen to save your automation.
- Once you’ve created your automation, it will run automatically based on the trigger you set up.
- This shortcuts will automatically turn off WiFi at night 4 hours after sunset in a daily basis.
- You can also edit or delete the automation at any time by going to the “Automation” tab in the “Shortcuts” app.