Google provides a custom search feature for webmasters to use on their website. A custom search will search all your website articles by the google search engine. This can give you the below advantages.
- Use powerful google search capability to help users find the desired information in your website accurately.
- Because the search process takes place on google servers, so this can reduce your web server pressure.
- You can earn money when users click the ads displayed in the search result.
1. How To Apply Google Programmable Search?
- Go to https://cse.google.com/cse/ and log in with your Google account. Then click the New search engine link on the left top to create a new custom search engine.
- Input your website domain name and click CREATE button, now you can see the newly created custom search engine in the Edit search engine list on the page left panel. Click it in the list, it will show it’s detailed info in the right panel. There are four menu items ( Setup, Look and feel, Search features, Statistics and Logs ) on the left panel and four tabs ( Basics, Ads, Admin, Advanced ) on the right panel.
- Click the Look and feel menu link in the left panel, it will display four tabs on the page right side, they are Layout, Themes, Customize, Thumbnails.
- Click the Layout tab on the Look and feel page right panel, then click the Web search item, it will let you choose the search engine layout.
- Click the Search features menu link on left, it will show five tabs on the page’s right side, they are Promotions, Refinements, Autocomplete, Synonyms, Advanced.
- Click the Autocomplete tab in the right panel. Turn on the Enable autocomplete button.
- Now click the Setup menu link on left again, click the Ads tab on right. On this page turn on Search Engine Monetization at the page bottom area.
2. How To Add Google Programmable Search Feature In WordPress?
2.1 Add Custom Search Box In WordPress.
- Login to your WordPress website as an administrator.
- Now you can see the google custom search engine search box on every web page. You can input the search keyword and click the Search button to use it.
2.2 Add Search Result Page In WordPress.
- In the WordPress admin web dashboard, click the Pages menu item in the left navigation area and add a page named Search Result. The page can be accessed by url http://domain-name/search-result/.
2.3 Combine Custom Search Result Page In Adsense.
- Now we have created both the custom google search engine search box and search result page, but how to tell Google to display the search result in the custom page when the user searches. Below are the steps.
- Go to https://adsense.google.com, log in with your Google account.
- Click Ads —> Overview menu item on the left page. Then click the By ad unit tab on the right page.
- Click the Search engine filter in the Filters area, then you can see the custom search engine which you created in section 1.
- Click the custom search engine name to go to the detail settings page. Click + icon to Expand the Search results section on page bottom.