Google provide custom search feature for webmaster to use in their website. Custom search will search all your website articles by google search engine. This can give you below advantages.
- Use powerful google search capability to help user find desired information in your website accurately.
- Because the search process take place in google server, so this can reduce your web server pressure.
- You can earn money when user click the ads displayed in the search result.
1. How To Apply Google Custom Search?
- Go to https://cse.google.com/cse/ and login with google account. Then click New search engine link in left top to create a new custom search engine.
- Input your website domain name and click CREATE button, now you can see the newly created custom search engine in Edit search engine list. Click it in the list, it will show it’s detail info in right panel. There are four menu item in left panel and four tab in right panel.
- Click Search features menu link in left, and click Autocomplete tab in right panel. Turn on Enable autocomplete button.
- Now click the Setup menu link in left again, click Ads tab in right. In this page turn on Search Engine Monetization.
2. How To Add Google Custom Search Feature In WordPress?
2.1 Add Custom Search Box In WordPress.
- Login to your WordPress website as administrator.
- Now you can see google custom search engine search box in web page as below. You can input search keyword and click Search button to use it.
2.2 Add Search Result Page In WordPress.
- In WordPress admin web console, click Pages menu item in left navigation area, and add a page named Search Result. The page can be accessed by url http://domain-name/search-result/.
2.3 Combine Custom Search Result Page In Adsense.
Now we have created both custom search engine search box and search result page, but how to tell google to display the search result in the custom page when user search. Below is the steps.
- Go to https://adsense.google.com, login with google account.
- Click My ads —> Search —> Custom search engines menu item in left. Then you can see the custom search engine which you created in section 1.