Table is very useful in excel worksheet. Use table can make your data more regular and manageable. You can sort data, filter data etc. This article will show you how to create a table in excel cells and how to make it beautiful.
1. Create Table In Excel Cells.
- Create a worksheet and input below data into it. The example data is car sales report for different car band in month January, February and March.
- The title Sale Report cell has merged all it’s sibling cells. To do this, you should select all of it’s sibling cells and then click Home —> Merge & Center item in Alignment group.
- Now to create a table based on these cells, you should select all the data cells ( not include the title cell ( Sale Report cell ) ), then click Insert —> Table ( in Tables group ).
- It will popup Create Table dialog. You should confirm the data cell range, if your table has headers you should check the My table has headers checkbox.
- Click OK button, it will translate the excel cell to below table.
- If you find the table header’s text are only part visible, you can select the table and click Home —> Format ( in Cells group ) —> AutoFit Column Width menu item to expand header columns.
2. Add Table Border In Excel.
- To add border to the table, you can select the table ( include the title ( Sale Report ) cell ), and right click it, then click Format Cells menu item.
- Click Border tab, and them you can choose border line style, line color, and presets. Please note if you change the border style and color, you should reselect border Presets again to make the new border style and color take effect.
- Below picture is the table that applied above border settings.
3. Sort / Filter Table Data Use Table Headers.
- Each of the table header has a dropdown arrow at right side, you can click it to sort table row data or filter out special table row data.
- When you click the dropdown arrow, you can see below menu items. You can click each menu item or uncheck the checkbox to see the table row changes.
4. Apply Different Table Style.
Excel provide a lot of built-in table styles for you to use. You can select the table style that you like follow below steps.
- Select any cell in the table.
- Then you can see a Table Tools tab is shown at excel top ribbon area.
- Click the Design tab, and you can select the table style in Table Styles area.