This article will show you how to create a new android studio project. You should read article Setup Android App Development Environment first to learn how to install android studio in your computer.
Create New Android Studio Project Steps
You can create a new android studio project in two ways.
- Click “Start a new Android Studio project ” in ” Welcome to Android Studio ” window.
- You can also click ” File —> New —> New Project ” menu after launch Android Studio.
- Each of above step will direct you to Configure New Project window. Input application name, company domain and project location in this dialog. Please note the package name is created automatically with reversed company domain and application name. Package name is used to unique identify an android app.
- Click Next button in above window, Add an Activity to Mobile window will be displayed. You can choose the activity that you need. For this example we just choose empty activity. Then click Next button.
- Now Customize the Activity window will be shown. Generally the activity name and layout name has default value, you can modify them to your desired. The activity name is just the java file name, the layout name is just the layout xml file name.
- Click Finish button in above dialog, you can see the project files list in android studio left panel. In the list you can see there are three core files. They are AndroidManifest.xml, MainActivity and activity_main.xml.
You can read Android Hello World Example Project File Structure to learn more detail about above three files.
- There is a sub view drop down list in android project view. You can choose different sub view in the drop down list to show the android project files in different perspective. When you select one sub view, the content in below panel list will also changed.