This article will show you how to create a new android studio project. You should read the article Setup Android App Development Environment first to learn how to install android studio on your computer if you do not know.
1. Create New Android Studio Project Steps.
- You can create a new android studio project in two ways.
- Click “Start a new Android Studio project” in the ” Welcome to Android Studio ” window.
- You can also click the ” File —> New —> New Project ” menu after launch Android Studio.
- Each of the above steps will direct you to Configure New Project window. Input application name, company domain, and project location in this dialog. Please note the package name is created automatically with reversed company domain and application name. The package name is used to uniquely identify an android app.
- Click the Next button in the above window, Add an Activity to Mobile window will be displayed. You can choose the activity that you need. For this example, we just choose the Empty Activity template. Then click the Next button.
- Now Customize the Activity window will be shown. Generally, the activity name and layout name have a default value, you can modify them to your desired. The activity name is just the java file name, the layout name is just the layout XML file name.
- Click the Finish button in the above dialog, you can see the project files list in the android studio left panel. In the list, you can see there are three core files. They are AndroidManifest.xml, MainActivity, and activity_main.xml.
- You can read Android Hello World Example Project File Structure to learn more detail about the above three files.
- There is a subview drop-down list in the android project view. You can choose different subviews in the drop-down list to show the android project files from different perspectives. When you select one subview, the content in the below panelist will also change.